Resources for Folk Singers
See also: Venues where I have performed
Folk music and culture resources
- Folklstreams.net has two goals. One is to build a national preserve of hard-to-find documentary films about American folk or roots cultures. The other is to give them renewed life by streaming them on the internet.
- Library of Congress Webcasts (Culture, Performing Arts). Many videos of lectures and concerts presented at the Library of Congress, Washington, DC
- Smithsonian Folkways podcasts. Hours from the extensive Folkways archive.
- W is for the Woods. Traditional Adirondack Music and Music Making.
Folk song collections
- Mudcat Cafe, including the Digital Tradition folk song database
- American Folklife Center online collections of the Library of Congress
- Max Hunter Folk Song Collection of Ozark Mountain folksongs
- Bodelian Library Broadside Ballads University of Oxford online collection
- Folk Music Index to Recorded Resources, Jane Keefer
- Robokopp collections of folk songs, hosted by Musica International
- Folksongs from Contemplator
- O’Neill’s Music of Ireland from 8Notes.com
- A Traditional Music Library
- Boston Area Coffeehouse Association
- Children’s Music Network, connecting people who celebrate the positive power of music in children’s lives
- Educational CyberPlayground, Integrating folk music, folklore and traditional culture instruction into K-12 education
- Folk Alliance
- Folk Song Society of Greater Boston
- Northeast Regional Folk Aliance
- Peoples Music Network, using music and culture to promote progressive ideas and values
- WUMB, folk radio
- Art of the Song Inspiring people to find and express their creative voices.
Folk Music Related News and Blogs
- Acoustic Music Scene News & Commentary for the Folk, Roots & Singer-Songwriter Communities.
Public Domain Identification
Instruments and Instruction
- All-Guitar-Chords.com Chords, progressions, tuner, metronome, and more
- Banjo Hangout, Comprehensive source of banjo resources
- Everything Dulcimer, “If it involves dulcimers, this is the place to get involved.”